Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Welcome to this garden of mine

I started gardening two years ago, mostly wanting to grow some vegetables for my guinea pigs, birds, and bearded dragon. The first year, I planted only in containers. Last year, I built a raised bed and grew more plants. This year, I plan to expand my raised bed and grow more vegetables.

My garden is located in a suburb just south of Louisville, Kentucky. Currently, my garden includes 13 containers, a 4' x 2 1/2' raised bed (totally approximating that), and a mini greenhouse. Last year I grew a variety of peppers, collards, kale, cabbage, lettuce, rosemary, basil, sweet potatoes, arugula, Swiss chard, tomatoes, and various flowers. The collards, kale, rosemary, basil, arugula, and sweet potatoes were all big successes. The peppers and tomatoes would've been more successful if the season had lasted a few weeks longer. The Swiss chard and cabbage barely grew at all--our summer was too wet. I'm hoping 2012 will bring me a bigger harvest.

0 comments:

Post a Comment